20 March 2011

Happy Spring!

It's the first day of astronomical spring today (not to be confused with meteorological spring, which comes later), and I could totally do a dance. However, being a meteorologist, I know that we aren't out of the woods yet in terms of cold weather and the possibility of...gasp!...a winter storm. After all, the Superstorm was 12-13 March 1993!

I will, in the meantime, concentrate on the wee little sprouts that are promising spring, come hell or a Noreaster.

This is a peony that was in my great-grandfather's garden when he came to this country. They were in my grandfather's garden after that, and we moved them to my dad's garden when Gramps died. I received this priceless piece of my family's heritage two autumns ago.

Last year's berries on the northern bayberry are still hanging on.

One small flower pokes its head out on the forsythia.

The phlox is waking up in small, green whorls of baby leaves.

Of course, the quintessential harbinger of spring is flowering...the crocus.

No comments:

Post a Comment