31 May 2015

Peonies

My peonies signify many things in my life.  I usually leave them out in the yard (I'm not a big one to cut flowers and bring them in the house - either I like them better where the bees can get at them or they just look more at home in the garden), but this year there is such an abundance of blooms that I couldn't resist bringing some in.  Some ants came with them, but whatever!


These peonies belonged to my great-grandfather.  They then were moved to my grandfather's house, and then to my parents'.  I was so honored and proud when my dad asked if I would like some of them for my own garden.  As if expressing approval from my ancestors, they have thrived at our house.  These plants are one of my most prized possessions, and I consider them my birthright.

The smell of a peony brings me right back to my grandparents' house while I was growing up.  I loved spending time watching the ants scamper around and around a swelling bud, feeling the silken petals, and deeply breathing in the scent over and over again until I went nose-blind with it.  I still do that today, and somehow feel that it connects me back with my grandmother and grandfather, who passed away when I was in high school. 

The peonies now function to signify another important yearly event in my life for the last 15 years - St. Benedict's graduation.  They always bloom right around that time, which is the first Sunday in June.  It reminds me that a well-earned break is right around the corner, but also makes me think of the students I will miss once school is back in session in late July.  Most importantly, the peonies signify the celebration of accomplishments and hope for the future of all the young men we serve at SBP.

The peonies are also meteorologists.  I'm serious!  Just when the blooms are at their most abundant (like now), it will rain and ruin them; peony petals are super sensitive to rotting in the rain.  So, what's in today's forecast?  Heavy rain with showers and thunderstorms. 

The final lesson of the peonies is, therefore, to appreciate the ephemeral and live in the moment.  It's a good lesson for someone like me, and I can use the reminder!






No comments:

Post a Comment